Applications of Modern Prefabrication Technology to Create High-Quality Affordable Multi-Family Housing in Hawaii

Monday, September 17, 2007

Murray Grove - London, England

Murray Grove is an innovative affordable multi-family housing project that is composed of prefabricated light steel framed boxes that are stacked on top of each other to create a five-story 30 unit complex. The housing was designed by Cartwright and Pickard for the Peabody Trust, a London housing association that pushes affordable, sustainable housing. Click here or on the picture to read more about Murray Grove.

This is exactly the type of project that I want to inform my own Arch. D. research and design project. In addition, I'd like to investigate more technology derived methods of prefabrication. The prefabricated volumetric modules in Murray Grove are standard light steel framing, which is built in a factory and then shipped to the site to be installed. Instead, I'd like to see how prefab technologies like CNC milling can be used to create easier assembly processes or more custom and creative, but still prefabricated, forms.

Image taken from Roger Sherwood at HousingPrototypes.org

No comments: